Yoga is essentially a spiritual discipline based on an extremely subtle Science, which focuses on bringing harmony between the mind and the body. It is an art and science for healthy living.
According to Yogic scriptures, the practice of Yoga leads to the union of individual consciousness with universal consciousness. According to modern scientists, everything in the universe is just a manifestation of the same quantum firmament. Oneness of existence is said to be “in Yoga” and is termed as a yogi who has attained a state of freedom, referred to as Mukti, Moksha, Nirvāna, or Kaivalya.
“Yoga” also refers to an inner science comprising of a variety of methods through which human beings can achieve a union between the body and mind to attain self-realization. The aim of Yoga practice (sadhana) is to overcome all kinds of sufferings that lead to a sense of freedom in every moment of life with holistic health, happiness, and harmony.
Generally, Yoga is known as a way of living. It is true but only when we are concerned about health. However, yoga is not limited only to the health aspect of life. It deals with our existence in of universe. Yoga is the answer to all the questions we get about our existence. It answers the fundamental questions of our life; what? Why? How? When? Every human being on the earth irrespective of cultural and religious background faces these fundamental questions, as it is the basic nature of human beings.
Therefore, when these basic confusions or doubts get cleared one comes to know the reality of life, the reality of oneself, reality of existence. Then the person will lead a happy and satisfying life. In addition, this is nothing but the purpose of yoga.
DEFINITIONS of YOGA:
- A way of Living: – It means how to live throughout the biological clock pattern. E.g., how to wake up, sleep; work, practice, eat, drink, rest, entertain; speak; think, help; behave; love; etc.
- Realization of Union = Body + Mind + Soul i.e. Body management (Hardware); Mind management (software) and Soul exploration (Power/light).
- “Yogashchittavrittinirodhah” PYS 1.2; योगश्चित्तवृत्तिनिरोध: –
Yoga + sh + Chitta (mind, ego, intellect, Consciousness) + vritti (Thoughts) 24-40 /sec. + Nirodhah – Patanjali Yoga Sutra—–Meaning: the cessation of modifications of thoughts in chitta (more about of Mind+) is yoga. In a general minimum of 24 thoughts in a second, somehow in modern people thoughts are increasing up to 40 thoughts. 12 =< …………….Beta Mind; 8 to 12 = Alfa mind; 4 to 8= Theta mind; 0.5 to 4 = Delta mind
- “Buddhi-yukto jahātīha ubhe sukṛita-duṣhkṛite tasmād yogāya yujyasva yogaḥ karmasu kauśhalam”– Bhagavat Gita 2.50; -बुद्धियुक्तो जहातीह उभे सुकृतदुष्कृते |तस्माद्योगाय युज्यस्व योग: कर्मसु कौशलम् || ५० ||
-The one united in buddhi casts away in this world both good-doing and evil-doing; therefore strive for Yoga; Yoga is skill /art in works.
- “Yogasthah kuru karmaani sangam tyaktwaa dhananjaya; Siddhyasiddhyoh samo bhootwaa samatwam yoga uchyate”. B. G. 2.48; “योगस्थ: कुरू कर्माणि सङ्ग त्यक्त्वा धनन्जय। सिद्धयसिद्ध्यो: समो भूत्वा समत्वम योग उच्यते। २ -४८ ” गीता ।
Fixed in Yoga do thy actions, O Arjun!, having abandoned attachment, having become equal in failure and success; equality is called Yoga
- “Yogah Samadhi” – योग: समाधि।–Vyasa Bhaasya –
Yoga is itself Samadhi (Liberation) Self-realization, fully self-guided Or, Samadhi is Yoga, Union.